Estate Planning isn’t just for the Elderly

Most people think that estate planning is only for old people. However, if you have children going to college, you may be surprised that if a problem arises, you might not be able to address it by virtue of your being their parent.

If you have a child or children going to college, you may want to consider talking to them about a Power of Attorney (POA) or a Health Care Power of Attorney (HCPOA):

There are several reasons why these documents might be a good idea:

1. Location/Distance: College students might not be able to travel back and forth from college to home on short notice should a legal or financial matter arise.

2. Illness or Disability: If a student has an illness or disability that may prevent them from making certain legal or financial decisions, a POA can enable parents to continue to look out for the student¹².

3. Privacy Laws: Once a child turns 18, they are legally recognized as an adult, and colleges generally cannot share medical information with parents without a HCPOA.

4. Medical Decisions: A HCPOA allows parents to make medical decisions for their child if they can’t speak for themselves.

5. Emergency Situations: In case of a medical emergency, having a HCPOA in place can ensure that parents are able to make necessary decisions and are kept informed about their child’s medical status.

We are glad to help you if this is something that you and your kids would like to do. We will make it easy for you, without a lot of homework. Working with an attorney does not need to be hard, or something to dread. Let us know how we can help!

Here are a couple of additional articles that might be of interest:

Parents: Make Sure These Health Forms Are Sorted out Before Your Kid Goes to College

Have a Kid in College? You Need These Legal Documents in Place

Back to Blog